Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Changing Viewpoints

Over the last year or so, I've noticed myself getting a little too consumed with "the big picture" and not taking enough time to step back and truly appreciate the little things in life. Which is somewhat sad considering how much the little things have made me happy in the past. So, in hopes of readjusting my outlook a bit, I decided to take on a mental project for myself... changing my viewpoint slightly in order to see what new things are out there to discover!

I guess you can say the idea started to take form several months ago when my sister came to visit. She had a new camera that took amazing close-up shots. We goofed around with it while playing board games one night and I was hooked! So much fun! I can't say I wasn't a tad bit disappointed that she remembered to take her camera with her when she left.
 
Last week I found myself back at it again, only this time with my trusty IPhone. I spent a rainy afternoon walking along the beach with my friend, Terra, and kept coming across hidden treasures that I would typically have passed right by. Feathers and shells and seaweed... not the things one would normally find noteworthy enough to stop as often as we did. Our simple walk on the beach ended up lasting almost 2 hours! But I was pretty proud of the photos I managed to get and very appreciative of my friend for humoring me! 

A couple days later, for Labor Day weekend, Terra and I made plans to head over to Sitka for a quick little vacay. She had never been there and I hadn't been back for several years. The long weekend seemed like a good time to drop our daily responsibilities and get out of town for a day or two. So we hopped on the ferry and spent the next 48 hours walking around Sitka and taking in the local splendor. Seeing as I already have tons of scenery photos of Sitka from my years growing up there, I decided to continue on with my close-up photo montage. And in doing so, managed to see a side of my hometown I had never taken the time to appreciate before!























Random Fact about Me #706: For my Senior Project in high school, I made a pinhole camera out of a paint can with my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment