Saturday, February 11, 2012

Breaking Tradition

I'm going to fill you in on a little secret of mine that I have, for some reason, found slightly embarrassing up until now. I am 31 years old and I have never had a real Valentine. Sure, each year my other single girl friends and I joke about how we'll be each others Valentines and exchange cards and candies and flowers with one another, but lets face it... it always feels as though something is missing every February 14th when you don't have a significant other to share it with. And to be completely honest, I'm kinda sick of it. I made a pact with myself not too long ago that whenever I was starting to get down on myself for things out of my control, I would try harder to turn my mood around and remind myself of all the reasons why I love my life and who I am. Not always an easy task. But in keeping with that pact, I am dedicating this Valentine's Day to me... the only Valentine I truly need to spend more time appreciating.

All this "self-love" talk might seem a little cheesy to some. But I've just recently come to realize how many minutes of my life I've wasted worrying about what other people think, or putting aside things that matter to me in order to please someone else, or choosing to compare myself to other girls rather than appreciating my own unique qualities... or even, god forbid, allowing myself to wallow in tears and self-pity all because some guy didn't want me back. In truth, the only one making me feel bad in all of those scenarios is myself. And it's time to stop. And why not start a fresh way of thinking by celebrating a holiday that has typically made me feel bad year after year by filling it with all the things that have always made me happy?!

So, this Valentine's Day, I will start my day off with my favorite expensive coffee, maybe go out to lunch with a good friend and share some laughs, make myself a new upbeat playlist to enjoy at the gym after work, and then perhaps treat myself to a movie I've been wanting to see. I might even throw in an ice cream cone afterward because, you gotta admit, ice cream makes everything better!


Random Fact About Me #996:  I have no problem going to a movie by myself. It's going out to eat alone that throws me for a loop.. but it's a challenge I hope to overcome someday.

1 comment:

  1. Have I told you lately how much I love you. Not only for who you are, but how you make me. You make me a better person. You inspire me. You motivate me. You teach me. It started to first day I met you when you taught me the trick of making hot chocolate. And it still holds true today with the example of this. You are more amazing that you'll ever know. You are the love of my life and my better half...no matter how platonic you make us stay meh meh meh :D But seriously, thank you :) Thank you for this and for every wake up call you always give me :) Happy Valentine's Day, my darlingest of darling friends!!!

    ReplyDelete